To apply to Maxine Smith STEAM Academy, go the the Shelby County Schools website, www.scsk12.org,
in the middle section, click 2019-2020 School Choice,
then click the green box to fill out the application.
A valid email address is required in order to submit the application online. Current SCS students are encouraged to use their PowerSchool student number. For non-SCS students, a social security number is requested. You will receive an email confirmation with the date and time of your application submission.
Our entrance requirements are as follows:
- Have grades of A’s and B’s, with no more than one C as a semester average, on most recent report card.
- Score at or above the 65th percentile on the TCAP TNReady English Language Arts and the TCAP TNReady Mathematics assessments; score at or above the 65th percentile on the NWEA MAP Growth Reading and NWEA MAP Growth Mathematics assessments; score at or above the 65thpercentile on the Total Reading/Reading Composite and Total Mathematics/Mathematics Composite of an acceptable nationally normed achievement test. Acceptable tests must be dated Spring 2018 or later.
- Have conduct grades of satisfactory or above.
- Have satisfactory attendance (no more than 15 absences or tardies to school or to class).
- Students and parents will be required to sign a Parent Student Agreement stating that they understand the expectations of this program and are committed to maintaining them. Once it is determined that the student meets the minimum requirements, an interview will be scheduled.
- Students are required to participate in our Experiential Lab which is an extended school day for an additional 45 minutes one day each month to complete STEM laboratory activities.
- All students will be on an Optional transfer and must meet and maintain the minimum entrance requirements. Preference will be given to qualified students who live within two miles of the school for 50 percent of the available slots for the first 10 working days of the Optional Application process. The remaining slots will be open to students who qualify.
- To remain in the Optional Program, students must maintain an average of C or above in each subject, each semester, participate in extended day activities and meet the entrance requirements for conduct and attendance.
- Transportation is the responsibility of the student’s parents/legal guardians.
- Final approval is contingent upon review of student’s second-semester/final report card.
We have no more shadow dates or parent tour dates available as we work to protect the instructional time of our current students.
Candy Pollan, optional coordinator at MSSA, 901-416-4561
Optional Office, 901-416-5338